Monday, December 05, 2005

Praise the Ubuntu!

Sorry for missing updates, my two faithful readers. Life got in the way. Someday I'll get around to post some Berlin photos, but not today.

Writing this from my freshly-setup Notebook, a three year old IBM ThinkPad A31p, where I just replaced the old Gentoo System with a brand new Ubuntu Breezy Badger. And damn, Desktop Linux has come a long way indeed. The hardware detection is flawless. It set up my graphics device by itself (which is a pretty unusual setup of a Radeon Mobility 7800 and a 1600x1200 display), USB, Sound, wireless networking, everything just works, the system even seems to recognize the bluetooth thingy (at least it writes log messages indicating such), but for lack of a bluetooth device I wasn't able to test that one. Ubuntu even supports hibernating the damn thing out of the box, something I couldn't get to work after days of fiddling with Gentoo two years back.

Nice one, indeed. Let's see if the daily work with the system proves to be as painless as the install was.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home